Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sticks and Mud

I stop now only for a moment's rest from my mission. As my children lay sleeping soundly in bed, I am circling the house and the mini van with a large plastic trash bag in hand. Tonight's mission: purge the house of their junk! Small plastic toys, in particular, have been underfoot all week. Left overs from Easter baskets, recent party goodie bags, and (although I really hate to admit it) fast food prizes (bad mommy) have been littering the bedroom and van floors all week. Will it be missed? Will they even notice the loss of what has already filled one large trash bag? Nope, I think not.

Earlier today as we drove in the van, the boys argued over a toy and then complained of having nothing to play with. So a frustrated mommy turned and shouted, "If that's the case, I'll just lock all your toys away, and you can go outside to play with sticks and mud!" From the corner of my eye, I could see Tim in the driver's seat sucking in his cheeks. "Are you laughing at me?" I say out of the corner of my mouth . "Sticks and mud, huh?," he says.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I love it---sticks and mud it is! By some strange randomness of the universe, I have been doing the same toy purge in our house tonight. Weird.

Jennifer said...

you just need a dog...my kids rush home from school to play in the back yard so they can run around with TANK. they've forgotten all about their toys...which have been put tightly away so that the dog doesn't eat all the precious toys...

tania said...

you too, denise! that is too funny.

jen, i just love that Tank is their new activity. very sweet.

bandwidow said...

we are slowly entering the small toy phase as well, damn archie mcphee's.