Tim and I got to see a free screening last night of this amazing documentary about a chorus of senior citizens out in western MA. Their director has them sing an array of songs, including rock and punk songs by groups like Sonic Youth and Radio Head. Our friend, Ken, is now part of the Young at Heart Chorus (in the orchestra) and they have been performing in Europe and the States. This movie had me laughing and crying (ok, sobbing) as you watch the groups' contagious spirit prevail in good and bad times. At the end of the screening, the theater hosted a question and answer session with the BBC director, the chorus director, and three of the 80+ year old group members. I highly recommend seeing this when it is released in your area. It made a such a lasting impression on me.
http://www.foxsearchlight.com/youngatheart/
Check out their myspace page. Click on the second utube video to hear the beautiful version of Cold Play's song "Fix You," which was supposed to be sung as a duet. However, right before the show, the other member passed away. Fred Nettle sang the song alone and dedicated it to his friend. So moving.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=139009733
4 comments:
I've heard about the group before--I think it sounds amazing!
Oh man. I'll have to wait for just the right time to watch this, maybe after El goes to bed. Your description had me teary...
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TĂȘnis e Sapato, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tenis-e-sapato.blogspot.com. A hug.
did you see Ken on Ellen today? YAH was on to sing a song and they showed him for a split second.
Post a Comment