Thursday, May 17, 2007

What's Cookin'?


Since our weather has quickly turned from summertime 80's to cool, gray low 50's, I've been in the mood to cook. This is one of my favorite "adult" pizza recipes that I got from a friend I used to work with many moons ago during my college days. James would always come into the childcare center where we taught in the city with the best looking homemade pizza lunches. This is the recipe for one of them:


Veggie Pizza

Roll out some of your favorite pizza dough (Trader Joe's has a good one)
Spread 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over it
Crush 1-2 cloves of garlic and spread
Put a layer of baby spinach on the bottom
Then add Roma tomatoes, chopped marinated artichokes, black olives, a few red onion slices (which I did not have tonight), and lots of feta cheese!

(one piece of advice... you may want to first cook the dough a bit before you add all the veggies, since the veggies are pretty moist and heavy)

Another recipe I tried this week was homemade salsa. I really can't take any credit for this one either, but I'll share it anyway. When I was at Trader Joe's this week, they had containers in the produce section with all the fresh ingredients to make your own salsa (for $1.99!) All you had to do was read and chop and mix. Here's the recipe in case you want to try it:

Fresh Salsa
Peel and dice one shallot and two garlic cloves. Combine with one Roma diced tomatoe, and one jalapeno pepper. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, with the juice of one lime. Add salt to flavor, and enjoy! This made 2 cups. It was really delicious (even without cilantro which I am surprised was omitted... but you could add some).

There you go. :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

mmmm, you're making me hungry and it's only 10:00 in the morning!!

palomarace said...

oh that sounds good! I'll have to try the pizza sometime. I love me some veggie pizzas!